permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Alley cropping with apples in China

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Alley cropping with apples in China
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 23:54:37 -0500

Sharon Gordon wrote:

Alley cropping with apples in China
http://www.pbase.com/sean5834/image/54557265

Looks like they are encouraging a lot of diverse weeds to grow between the

rows of apples;

or are these economic, food or cover crops?

***That's a soup or stirfry green. Or you can cook them southern US style.
You can find some similar ones here.
http://www.kitazawaseed.com
http://www.evergreenseeds.com

I was wondering if they were potherbs, the broadleaf ones.
Had some of my own tonight:

stir fried fresh-out-of-the-garden collard greens (20 degrees here tonight)
collards shredded
choppen red onion
olive oil
herb salt
Chinese rice vinegar (Chinkiang Vinegar, especially good for stir frying
tofu)
miso tamari
California organic short grain rice (ripened on the stalk in the field)
herb salt
olive oil
5-6 large cloves of garlic mashed and chopped
food yeast
Mineral water

Quite a meal.

Watched finale of Jane Eyre on PBS tonight. Very nice.

***Thanks for pointing out the other pictures as well. It's wonderful to
see so many beautiful and food filled landscapes.

Glad you enjoyed them. I was going to post again about the countryside and
farmland depicted in the photos
and ask if anyone else had the same question I did after looking at them, namely, why aren't we doing farming like that here in North American?

Those carefully tended terraced plantings and daylilly fields rolling over the mountains. You can tell, those folks really care about their countryside and their farming. They eat the daylillies, the unopened blooms or pods.

Is anyone else as amazed as I at Chinese traditional agriculture? Then
there's TCM too.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm