permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Tractors

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <darren@permaculture.biz>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Tractors
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 08:12:09 +0700

G'day,

I trust that this greets you and all well.

That is an interesting, though I would think unrealistic thought. The lack
of 3PL (three point linkage). I imagine that the draught control on a
machine that would push, as opposed to pull a shank would make it very
difficult to maintain a consistant depth. It takes about 15-30hp per shank
to "pull" a keyline plow. I saw a photo in the PC Activist back in 2000 of a
horse drawn Keyline shank....I would have thought also that for the money
and if you really wanted to keyline/non-inversion plow then you could buy an
old "Johnny" (John Deere) or Fiat 640-650 or something of that ilk - like a
30-40 year old machine for $3-5000 that is still more than capable of doing
this kind of work for a small investment.

The Fiat 650 in particular is a ripper tractor - about 60hp - no frills,
nice grunt and just works all day. We had one for years that cost about
$8000 (Australian dollars - USD$1 = $AUD1.28) and did thousands of hectares
of keyline pattern plowing and deep ripping (again using the keyline plow)
for tree establishment. We only got rid of it cos we got a great lease deal
on a new Deutz (cab, cd player etc.) - even today the tractor market is
oversupplied and you can get a pretty good deal. On that deal we doubled our
money on the Fiat!!!

Another favorite tractor of mine, that a mate has incidentally just bought,
are the Mercedes Benz MBTrac. These are a bit more expensive as a 2nd hand
machine, but are amazingly capable and more of a hybrid tractor/pick
up/UniMog kinda thing. They have front and rear 3PL/PTO, a neat deck behind
the cab for a spray/spreading unit, high road speed (great for contracting),
and crawler gear for deep ripping hard ground, mulching forestry/orchard
prunings or rotary draining etc.

Yours and Growing,

Ciao,

Darren Doherty
www.permaculture.biz

Australia Home: +61 (0) 3 5441 5525
Australia Mobile: +61 (0) 437 350 773
Viet Nam Mobile: +84 (0) 977 800 994

Skype: permaculture.biz

WORLD TOUR 2007
Permaculture Design Certificate Course (PDC)
Soil & Water for Every Farm with Keyline Design (KDC)
Design & Consulting (DC)

March 19-20 - PDC - Rainbow Valley Farm, Matakana, New Zealand
March 21-25 - PDC - Taranaki Environment Education Centre, Inglewood, New
Zealand
April 2-15 - PDC - Estancia Ranquilco, Neuquen Province, Argentina
April/May - KDC/DC - Santa Barbara & San Luis Obispo, California, USA
May – PDC/DC – None of The Above Ranch, Eel River, California, USA
May/June – PDC/KDC – Aprovecho, Oregon, USA
June - KDC - Ohio, USA
June - KDC - Finger Lakes, New York, USA
July - GIS/CAD in Permaculture - Spain
June/July – PDC/DC – Italy & Austria
August - PDC/KDC - GEM, University of Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
August – PDC – Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
September – PDC/KDC – Portland, Oregon, USA
September - KDC - Santa Barbara, California, USA
October - PDC - Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
October - KDC - Moriac, Victoria, Australia
November - KDC - The Channon, NSW, Australia