permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Municipal Compost

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: tonitime@juno.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Municipal Compost
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:14:39 -0800

Greetings, Daimen!
Before moving to our remote farm in KY Appalachia, i lived in
Sacramento, CA - where they have a big muni compost project. We all put
our trimming, and garden debris onto the street and it was picked up and
hauled away weekly to the compost project thruout the whole city. One
time i did get some, tho i usually found i could make enough homemade
when i was a yard gardener, growing my family's vegies and ornamentals.
I had one of two problems occur: Invasive weed seed from other places
that didn't decompose along with alot of wood chips that meant nitrogen
supplementing in my garden.
Other folk have stated that we have no control over other toxic
substances used on the yards the stuff came from (herbicides, pesticides,
and non-organic fertilizers.
As i chose to garden with organic methods, using stuff from other places
became unacceptable.
Toni