permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: [Permaculture International] Another Jean Pain source]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: [Permaculture International] Another Jean Pain source]
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 09:58:12 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Another Jean Pain source
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 02:30:17 -0800
From: Michael Pilarski <friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com>

To Paul Cereghino, et al,

Here is a way to read another article on Jean Pain. shows diagram of
tank in pile.

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/methane_pain.html

The last i heard someone in Belgium was selling Jean Pain's shredders.

Michael Pilarski

Keith Johnson wrote:

Paul Cereghino wrote:
My reading of the November 2000 Permaculture Activist article explicitly said that Pain did not focus on detailing how he extracted methane from the compost. Based on the accounts I have read, the methane is not derived from the
compost, but rather a methane digester was imbedded in the pile to take
advantage of compost heat to maximize the rate of methanogenesis. The
primary function of the pile was production of heat (for hot water) and
organic matter for farming, with enhancement of methane production as a
supplemental yield.
Pain's booklet details his process which includes a 4 cubic meter tank embedded in the pile.
There are additional pix which help to make this clear. I'll add them to the page when I get a chance.
In the tank he put 2 year old composted woody material which had previously heated his greenhouse.
He also piped heap-heated (or cool) water through pipes wrapped around the exterior of the tank and was thus able to moderate the temp inside.

It occurs to me that perhaps we could get the reprint rights to his booklets and offer them through the Activist. I wonder who I would have to contact. If you get any leads let me know.
Thanks,
Keith