permaculture - Re: [permaculture] oil stove and fansaur

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Phil Vergamini <phil@inetserv.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] oil stove and fansaur
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 11:48:00 -0700

Mitch-
Check out the Stirling engine stove fan at: http://www.thermalengines.com/tech.html

This is my second winter with a HeatWave Wood Stove Fan and I find it to be an excellent device for producing an even temperature in the house. You don't have to be a stove-stander to be comfortable. I don't think you could find a better device for your stove. I'm really sold on it.

Most wood (or other) stove fans generate electricity via a thermoelectric device at the base (in contact with the stove) which then drives the electric fan. This conversion from heat to electric to fan motion is inefficient in comparison to the highly efficient Stirling engine driven device which produces the fan motion directly from the heat. The Stirling engine converts heat directly to the motion needed to move the warm air from your stove to where you want and need it. It is an external combustion engine. If you want more information about the Stirling engine, a quick search with your browser (google or your favorite), will open your eyes to many options. I believe the Stirling engine is a wave of the future and has unlimited alternative energy possibilities from solar, to utilizing any form of excess heat, to replacing the gasoline engine in the plug-in Prius.

Check it out-

-Phil