permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Tending the Wild, Wood Ash

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: evansdk@earthlink.net, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Tending the Wild, Wood Ash
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 09:41:29 -0800

In fairly common use in landscape for around 5-10 years (they were novel in 1994). Natural burn has variable frequency and intensity, and season, all of which affect how the plant community responds. The flame weeder is conceptually an alternative to spraying, particularly appropriate for seedlings or annuals without root reserves.
Paul, Olympia, WA

Kathy Evans wrote:

How have these fire weeders been tested? It does seem probable that it is
not apples to apples as compared to a natural burn of two foot high
flames....in terms of WHAT burns, as in the buffalo/prairie grass/fire
relationship, and HOW it burns, in terms of a hot blue flame coming from
above and not following any natural course, and how long the flame is
there, and what time of year, and how often, and what conditions allow the
natural burn versus the condition, "I think I'll go use my fire weeder this
afternoon," and so forth. So so hard to mimic Mother Nature.
Kathy Evans
evansdk@earthlink.net