permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Tending the Wild, Wood Ash

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: rkelly@bigfoot.com, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Tending the Wild, Wood Ash
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:50:10 -0800

I'd say the tool might be less critical than the strategy. Frequently the flame weeder goal is to maintain a vacant niche where you can't till -- a motive that I would take a long hard look at. Put the flame weeder in a context, than see if it isn't 'better' to change the context rather then employ the tool. Haven't looked into cost benefit of large scale ag applications, and again you'd have to compare to either other tools to achieve the same function, or ways to change context to make the function unnecessary.
Paul

Rob Kelly wrote:

Just last night I was talking with a friend who
was curious about "fire weeders" -- propane
powered contraptions that you use to burn out any
weed seed. (You wheel along like a vacuum and
everything under the hood gets torched.)
I wondered whether such heat also killed
beneficials in the soil, or whether those deeper
in the soil quickly repopulated the top layer
that was burned.
Now that I think of burning as a tried and true
technique, I wonder again whether these fire
weeders, propane consumption aside, are a pretty
good idea.

Thoughts on the topic, anyone?

Thanks,

Rob