permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 47, Issue 29

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: webmaster@pfaf.org
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 47, Issue 29
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 22:37:53 +0000

permaculture-request@lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
From: negiliblek <negiliblek@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Database

Lawrence,

I like the idea of creating a development mail list: pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org.

or:

(http://www.gaianlife.co.uk/phpbb/index.php?sid=b1cb7a79ba3c8221f68cc4c7fa59
2631)
That Helen has offered for our use.

If the following people listed are willing to be subscribed to this new list,
I'd like to see their input in the dev process:

Paul Cereghino
Jedd
Larry Saltzman
Richard Archer
Bob Randall

...and anyone else whose wants to be directly involved in the design and
development process.

Me too. If we go the wiki root especially MediaWiki i'd be interested in developer access, I've a fair bit of experience with the software and the social structures. I'd also like to back up Grahams point that if we get a wiki going, we will want to migrate most discussion onto the wiki. The soon we get experience with using a wiki the better.

Things we need to sort out early, is the licence for the code and the data. If we extend open source tools then we'll need to use the appropriate licences for those probably GPL. I feel the content should also be open source, either the Gnu Free Documentation Licence or Creative Commons By/Share alike. (but not including the non-commercial clause)

Jedd has a good point: we may need ownership (read leadership)
defined
for each portion of the overall project ( i.e. ownership for the
database, ownership for the CMS, ownership for wiki).

Ideally I'd like to see at least three users with the greatest level of access. This eleviates problems with putting too much power in anyones hands. We also need to keep the code on a CVS/subversion system, from pretty early on in the project. If we go the full open source root it should not be a problem to get a sourceforge project, theres a few other people who do open source CVS hosting. Hopefully we can either use the sourceforge issue tracker or the one John developed for the pcpdb project.

I've assumed that Lawrence was the overall owner (leader) of the
project. Since, at first, no one responded to Lawrence's original
question, I figured I'd take ownership of creating the database.

But now, with all the interest, I'm perfectly willing to step back
and
do grunt and gopher work on the database.

Are there any volunteers that want to be owners (people who make
final
decisions when a design and/or implementation decision has to be made
when there exists two equally viable solution presented by the
developing group; people who coordinate contributors' input and do work
on the project) of the database? ... of the CMS? ... of the wiki?

Lawrence, what kinda of structure do you want? >
negiliblek

Rich
--
Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants