permaculture - Re: [permaculture] relocalizing community

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Gregory Konger <gjkonger@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] relocalizing community
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:53:37 -0800 (PST)

Bob Ewing
> Perhaps a way to proceed is to work through an existing organization,
> one
> that has a web presence and a number of members who have similar goals,
> the Relocalization Network may be the vehicle. These are a few quick
> thoughts to start a discussion.

Hi Bob,

I started a web presence about a year ago in a yahoo newsgroup called
sustainable_fortwayne. We talked about relocalization in the group, and I
have also been going to NEIGBC meetings (which is much bigger than the one I
started) where there are people who work for the city who are interested in
sustainability. It is a small group making small changes. I guess the best
I can do is change my own lifestyle to be the most sustainable as possible
and hope my example rubs off on others. I have a couple of neighbors who I
help and they give me food from their gardens. That is a small step toward a
village type setting. However, they are not interested in edible wild flower
plants which are more suited to the environment and a natural ecosystem. I
read several foraging books and found that wild plants are more nutritious
than cultivated ones.

I checked out the Relocalization Network Website. So far, there isn't a
group for Fort Wayne, IN.

Greg Konger