permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re Wood Ashes - a multifunctional resource

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re Wood Ashes - a multifunctional resource
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 07:51:32 -0800 (PST)

Becareful of crossing the different kinds of ash: "soda ash" and "Potash".
Potash contains Potasium (wood ash), while Soda (seeweed ash) contains
Sodium. Sodium Hydroxide is what we call Lye and is used for hard soaps.
Potasium Hydroxide makes a soft soap. Different woods contain varying
quantities of Potash and Soda components, which must be separated out via
careful evaporation and decanting techniques, if you seek purity (say for
biodiesel production). Paper and glass also depend upon these forest/kelp
consuming resources.

An interesting read on this topic is "Caveman Chemistry" by Kevin M. Dunn
http://cavemanchemistry.com/oldcave/projects/lime/

For information on mining these materials:
http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/soda_ash/
http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/potash/

-Sean.