permaculture - [permaculture] Tending the Wild, was Wood Ash

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: tom <tom@honeychrome.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • Subject: [permaculture] Tending the Wild, was Wood Ash
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 07:58:54 -0500

lbsaltzman wrote:
I just finished a brilliant book by an ethno-ecologist a woman named M. Kat Anderson from U.C. Davis. The book is called Tending the Wild. It is an in depth look at the horticultural and animal management practices of the native peoples of California. Burning was one of the their favorite techniques for interrupting succession and increasing the biodiversity of plants that were useful to them and to the animals that were also useful to the people. Can't recommend this book to highly.

Thanks for that book recommendation. A while back I read a book called 'Changes to the Land' by William Cronon, published in '83. It sounds like Tending the Wild is a west coast version of that book! It's out of print and hard to find, but really great- and after reading it you won't look at the landscape the same way!

  • [permaculture] Tending the Wild, was Wood Ash, tom, 12/18/2006