permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Crude Impact & Escape from Suburbia

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Gregory Konger <gjkonger@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Crude Impact & Escape from Suburbia
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 15:05:19 -0800 (PST)

Keith Johnson wrote:
> (Personally I think much of suburbia needs to be redesigned /
> relocalized / revillaged rather than "escaped". Ditto for "urbia'.
> Love
> to hear some discussion on the subject. Keith)

I agree that we need to relocalize / revillage. I am learning about edible
hardy wild plants that I can let grow naturally in my small yard, but I am
the only one doing it in my neighborhood. It would be more comforting and it
would relieve most of my boredom and anxiety if my whole neighborhood
community were of one like mind in which we solved two thirds of our problems
locally instead of paying long distance companies to help us destroy our
local natural ecosystems and all the diversity that goes along with it. I
wish there was a way to reach most of my neighbors, so that I could actually
see some positive, less burdensome, more exciting change. So far, the
neighborhood association ignores my suggestions and are more concerned about
theft and crime (which never changes) than they are sustainability. I guess
that I will have to be patient and wait for them to see the light before it
is too late.

Greg Konger