permaculture - Re: [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Gaian Life" <eco@gaianlife.co.uk>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 23:56:28 +0000

Hi,
OK quite a few things which I hope folks will be interested in:
I am running a series of permaculture essays and would like as many
viewpoints as possible. Anyone wanting to contribute please let me know. The
intro to this series is here: http://www.gaianlife.co.uk/permaculture.htm
but bear in mind there is no particular requirement for your views to be the
same as mine, I am quite happy for the essay series to highlight as many
alternative opinions and aspects of permaculture as possible. I am also
always looking for people to submit articles to the website so anything you
think may fit in well here (http://www.gaianlife.co.uk/library.htm) please
let me know about!

I have an instant chat (http://www.gaianlife.co.uk/phpopenchat/index.php)
and message board
(http://www.gaianlife.co.uk/phpbb/index.php?sid=b1cb7a79ba3c8221f68cc4c7fa59
2631) which are intended to host permaculture discussions on my website
www.gaianlife.co.uk. The reason they are currently unused is because I have
been way to busy to set them up properly with nice graphics and start
promoting them on the site. If you guys would like to use them to plan the
database or in fact just to chat about permaculture if you want....please
feel free! Eventually they will be linked in to my website but not for a
while yet, so its pretty much a private discussion area at the moment. Just
go ahead and sign up on them and start new threads etc as you wish.

I have an IT guy working on a database very similar to what you are
discussing, which we hope to contain medicinal and permaculture plants along
with as much info as possible (eg growing/purchasing info etc). We want the
user to be able to create new entries and add any info they have to existing
entries so we are looking at using mySQL with a user friendly data input
form which can collate multiple inputs for one plant entry automatically. At
the moment we are still in the phase of layout and data structure so it
wouldnt hurt too much to look at Wiki instead. I have space to host this on
my domain www.gaianlife.co.uk so if anyone wants to get together on this one
I would love it! (and so I am sure would the IT guy who, although he is
learning as fast as he can, is not botanically minded.

I think that covers everything, so lets get some productive connections
going here, just let me know any ideas I may be able to help with!
Happy Xmas all!

Helen
eco@gaianlife.co.uk
'Wisdom of the Ages, Knowledge for the Future'

  • Re: [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc, Gaian Life, 12/17/2006