permaculture - Re: [permaculture] poop and pee

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] poop and pee
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:16:42 -0700

It should not smell if you are composting properly. Are you using sawdust or something similar to cover each deposit? Are you following the instructions in the Humanure Handbook? Are you incorporating a variety of materials in your compost pile?

Generally the advice re humanure composting is to become adept at hot composting of kitchen and garden wastes before attempting humanure composting. Once your first batch of humanure compost has aged a year, if you have any doubts at all on whether it's safe to use, get it tested by a soil/microbiology lab. Or wait 2 years, or use it on ornamentals or fruit trees.