permaculture - [permaculture] using pee on indoor plants

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] using pee on indoor plants
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 21:22:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Robyn,

Yes, I've used pee on indoor plants, but I'm kind of a clean freak, so I've
always been very careful to add small amounts to avoid having it leak out of
the pot. Diluting it only means that I have to increase the volume of number
of waterings. The only problem I've had with urine hurting plants is if I
get it on the leaves of sensitive plants, causing localized "burning."
Obviously, if you consistently overfertilize, you will kill or weaken the
plant. The scent of urine gets worse with storage, but even then it usually
dissipates after a day. With small and fresh amounts, the scent is usually
not noticeable.

It's kind of amazing to me that people are so stunned by the use of urine
for fertilizer when one of the most important concepts of ecology is nutrient
cycling. What we take out we must return. We are Nature and our effluents
coevolved with the rest of it.

Rain

  • [permaculture] using pee on indoor plants, Rain Tenaqiya, 10/16/2006