permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture as a movement, permaculture defined.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture as a movement, permaculture defined.
  • Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 03:42:34 -0400

As for inspiration from music, I am into an American composer, Roy Harris; his Symphony 7 and 1933 are possibly my two favorite pieces of music. Mostly they describe a far reaching powerhouse American farmscape, the tenacity of the American farmer and creativity of our biointensive sustainable friends rebuilding the land and feeding the people with the best available.. Symphony 7 tells of wild western skies, brewing storm, vast cloud formations, golden beams of light across the prairies

really good stuff

Given, there is already a sizeable Permaculture movement in the US and worldwide, many have heard of it but have no idea what it is about. What will it take to interest the average as well as corporate American and others?
take it underground? Mainstream?

These innocent, probably well-intentioned statements by Heather:

"To quote her, "...much of the Permaculture movement is based on a desire
for personal gain, rather than a deep ecological altruism".
Also, " ...while Permaculture /teaches/ a whole-system approach that
includes the larger ecological community, the permaculture I have seen
in /practice/ tended to lack emphasis on taking designs beyond the
suburban homestead."
Also, "...the term /permaculture/ has become something of a commodity,
used to entice people into paying exorbitant prices for "certification
courses" when such important information should be made accessible to
any who would choose to learn it....most of those high-priced
certificates are just photocopied pieces of paper, signed by the
instructors themselves. ""

are sure to ruffle feathers. What sort of educational process will enlighten her as to progress made so far in bringing permaculture-in-design-and-practice to the citizens of the world? Take a poll to see how many people know what permaculture is and how they can apply it in their daily lives.

Tonight a chef at a natural foods store asked me what Permacultre was.
I described it as an umbrella concept encompassing such disciplines as agriculture, landscaping, architecture, energy and land use, ecology and social values; a system of thinking that uniquely empowers people with inspiration and creativity so they will be able to live their lives and do their work with much greater reward and satisfaction
knowing that in the process they have trod lightly on the Earth and have
helped others in many ways.

LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.