permaculture - [permaculture] Comosting toxic ingredients

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michelle Maggiore" <mmaggior@mindspring.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Comosting toxic ingredients
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:41:32 -0400

While down in New Orleans a week ago, I learned about the techniques the
bioremediation group with Common Ground Relief is using:
oyster mushrooms (aforementioned on this list); sunflowers to remove lead
from the soil, and indian mustard to remove arsenic from the oil. The first
"crops" brought forth from these soils have to be disposed of (at least in
NOLA), not composted. Also, the Bioremediators there are brewing compost tea
to bring "life" back into the soil......and using "em" to break down trash
piles along the streets and remove mold......In some of my own research, I
have heard of using horseradish to clean thousands of gallons of
contaminated water, and pumpkin to remove (can't remeber what type) of
toxins. Fascinating work. I would be interested to hear what other
techniques people have used on this list for brownfields, and other toxic
sites,and your successes/experiences. I hope to go down there again, soon-
there is an amazing new culture rising up from what was left behind.
Cheers,