permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Lovelock:- Crazed old fool?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Niels Corfield <mudguard@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Lovelock:- Crazed old fool?
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 09:01:47 +0100

To overlook the nuclear issue is really to gloss over his politics.
The main example I'd like to give is how he has offered to store all of the UK's nuclear waste in his backgarden.
Since he somehow believes that the quantities will be so insignificant and the same is true for toxicity.

I would like also to offer the experience of those individuals from Totnes that attended his lecture, there, earlier this year.
They varied from Gaia/Lovelock "believers" to mild sceptics and most were permies.
They ALL returned from the lecture with one opinion: "what a asshole".

Laurence Gaffney wrote:

Whilst Lovelocks arguments in favour of Nuclear Power are yet to convince me, their is
little doubt that "Gaia Theory" which sees the earth as a self regulating
system has been useful in focusing on the issue and broadening our understanding of
Self Organising Systems. Such understanding is of importance to Permaculture Designers.
Lovelocks latest book, whilst a bit disjointed at times, seemed to me to be
the product of one who is capable of original/free thought. Crazed old fool
were not words that sprang to mind as I read the book.

Laurence Gaffney
Australia