permaculture - [permaculture] nuclear energy

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charles de Matas" <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] nuclear energy
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 19:50:51 +0000

I don't think nuclear energy will hlep much to solve the global warming problem. Uranium still has to be dug out of the earth, transported over long distances, purified by very energy intensive methods. Most of these processes require fossil fuel energy inputs. Nuclear power plants have to be constructed at very high capital costs, again a very energy intensive process. The construction can take up to decade. I think the amount of CO2 reduction obtained by switching from fossil fuel to nuclear energy would be minimal.
What amazes me sometimes is that people advocating an increase in nuclear power generation often live in developed countries that are trying to stop other countries like Iran, North Korea or Venezuela from developing there own nuclear industries. Increased use of nuclear energy in the developed countries will make it easier for other countries to obtain the technology and material to build their own nuclear industries, for both peaceful and military purposes.

Charles.

Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.com/

  • [permaculture] nuclear energy, Charles de Matas, 07/05/2006