permaculture - [permaculture] visiting Arkansas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Diver <steved@ncat.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] visiting Arkansas
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:28:10 -0500

Hi Marjory -

Crystal digging around Mt. Ida and Hot Springs is a load of
fun. Plan to get covered in a red clay mud mixture.
There are web sites that explain which mines are which.
Mt. Ida is unique for "smokey" crystals. Mt. Ida is way
off in the Ouachita Mtns. There are so many places to
hike, fish, canoe, or boat all over that region. The national
forest has maps.

There is a botanical garden near Hot Springs. Hot Springs
is a great place to take kids of 5 and 7 years of age, with
tourist shopping, crafts, arts, musuems, and I think they
have a water park.

Feel free to be in touch, I'm in Fayetteville which is
about 3-4 hours away. I'm not familiar with any
whacky permaculture projects that way but I think
there is a native plants nursery. There are flea markets
all over rural Arkansas... a reflection of capitalism going
belly up beyond the hype of East Coast-West Coast
television and urban glamour.

Steve Diver