permaculture - Re: [permaculture] weed removal

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Brad Bossack" <ecofreako@telus.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] weed removal
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 23:19:42 -0700

Hey, Jill, right on!
Yes Maureen and anyone else, it's true that harmony with nature and
benefitting from all things, excellent for permaculture system mentality, is
to learn the good of what's already there. A weed is only really a plant
that is unwanted for not knowing of its goodness. Like Jill, I don't know of
the other plants you speak of but I really needed to excitedly second the
suggestion of Amaranth and Lambs Quarters as excellent edibles. The greens
are great, super-tasty and totally nutritious...wasn't Amaranth a staple of
the Aztecs? But additionally the seed they produce, is so abundant and rich
and easy to harvest. And Lambs Quarters has this magical "bloom" of
irredecent mineral crystals covering the leaves...probably some major secret
nutrients in there. Surely, becuase these have "weed" status, it means
they're widespread, tenacious and therefore grow easily, which to my mind is
definitly a bonus. I've spent the last few summers regularly feeding on
weeds, and it's wonderful to do this kind of thing everyday in a
sandwich...fresh chickweed with an onion and tomato sandwich keeps you
strong. I've only had a suburban sized plot of land to see this in...when I
soon will be on my acreage, I've no doubt in my mind, and all kinds of
positive enthusiam for the notion of actually encouraging fieldlets of these
kinds of plants. And it's true that with just the slightest bit of nurture,
like non-crowding and a touch of love, these once-was weeds will rise into
magnificent beasts of plenty. You can get a tree out of a Lambs Quarter. It
even works ornamentally, too.
The opposite of not seeing the beauty and usefullness of what naturally comes
leads to poisons and petunias purchased from plastic boxes from store. This
world and us has had quite enough of that.
This is my first post! This list rocks!

Brad aka EcoFreako.