permaculture - Re: [permaculture] BD

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Heather " <Heather@ecoversity.org>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] BD
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 17:28:17 -0600

We have been used preparations on our organic farm for five years. In
the third year we saw an explosion in ladybugs, earthworms and other
beneficials. What was particularly captivating about this, was not the
increase in numbers of these creatures, but rather their health and
vibrancy. The ladybugs were twice the size of any ladybugs we had
previously seen, and the earthworms were noticeably longer and thicker.
I am not sure exactly what to say about harvest yields, as the numbers
did go up, but what was more impressive than the quantity was the
quality. The garlic was spicier, the tomatoes juicier, etc... I can
also say that in that same year we had an influx of people of great
value come to the farm wanting to help. After experiencing this, I
think of the preps as fairy dust. There are a lot of people out there
who are skeptical about biodynamics because most of us agree there are
no such things as fairies or if there ever were fairies (or nature
spirits as they are referred to in biodynamics) they are definitely all
dead now. The best remedy for this skepticism is to just do it. You
won't turn away from it, and the herbs that go into the preparations
will become sacred to you if you bother to learn their ways. Ultimately
I think of Biodynamics (used here as a verb) as the invisible structures
in organic farming. If we don't talk about them, we aren't trying to
solve the whole problem.

Sincerely,
Heather