permaculture - Re: [permaculture] weed removal

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Chris Jackson <sidgeydog@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] weed removal
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 07:00:32 -0700 (PDT)

I just got back from working on a Pc farm in central
Mexico where purslain has gone from "weed" back to an
edible. It was a staple before industrial farming,
but has been recently rediscovered for its good taste
and nutrition. It is now cultivated and sold in
markets, bringing a good price for very little input.
I pull (and nibble) the stuff constantly weeding at
the farm I work at in Vermont, but I now see that it
could have a potential here for sale. It's great
stirfried with onions, garlic, and tomato.
Chris