permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Map making using GPS

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "darren" <darren@permaculture.biz>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Map making using GPS
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 20:42:24 +1100

G'day Frank,
All is well. As flat as a lizard drinking!!!
The Garmin Etrex Vista C GPS I have is USD$321. Mapinfo is PC only unfortunately. It is perhaps the easiest of the GIS packages to use - hence my use of it. I can teach people to use it for farm planning in 1/2 a day.
One of the technobots out there will be able to provide us with a erudite explanation as to the workings of a GPS. I just concern myself with the "visibles" and therefore the operation side of things. The GPS is breathtakingly easy to use and when used in conjunction with software like mapinfo is especially functional for all sorts of things. They are certainly as easy to use as a digital camera. Bit of a toy really....
Hope the farm is going well. We had a good day yesterday: milled our first trees that we planted back in 1998 on the farm. We used a Lucas mill and then a Logosol M7 chainsaw mill to turn into timber 1.5m3 of Acacia dealbata. Very exciting. Ended up buying a Logosol mill by the the end of it 'cause we have another 20 ha of forestry left on the farm and lots of thinning to do.
If you need any more help drop us a line.
Ciao Daz
FranksFarm@aol.com writes:
g'day darren,
Good to hear from you too.
Hope all is well. Wow, that GPS you have sounds real handy for land mapping etc.
How much did it cost? Is Map Info a commercial package? Or does it come with the GPS system? Does it work on a Macintosh?
How do you actually DO all those things? Point it at different spots and the GPS somehow gives you coordinates where you are by triangulation? How does it tell your elevation?
Like I said I'm a bit in awe of these things. If it seems too complex it sits. I have a new digital camera I hardly used because I'm not exactly sure how to use all the controls! Probably take an experienced user just a few minutes to show me how it works:)
All the best. Frank