permaculture - [permaculture] Trees densities

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: sinergyinaction@netscape.net
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Trees densities
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 06:32:17 -0500

Hi,
I am trying to determine tree densities for planting pioneer legume trees in
droughty country and clay soil.
I am not 100% sure about how close to each other can the trees be planted.
I'd like to have
as thick a canopy as possible, and start thinning the stand form the 2nd/3rd
or fourth year.

The main constraint there is drought and summer very high temperatures (40ÂșC
+).
Although I am selecting drought-tolerant trees I am still
unsure how far can I push closeness without creating too much competition for
water and nutrients.

The idea here is to increase biomass and shade etc. as much as possible in as
a short time as possible.
We have some water sources available on site and we'll be able to store
raiwater in the near future

I understand that I will just have to improvise anyhow but if anyone has some
clues from past experience that'd be great to hear.

Also, do you have any advise on publications or people that advice on what I
want to do?
Thanks in advance
Antonio
Try the New Netscape Mail Today!