permaculture - Re: [permaculture] need termite prevention advice

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: d pfalzer <d_pfalzer@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] need termite prevention advice
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 06:29:37 -0800 (PST)

We live in Tampa, Florida and have about the same
termite situation that you describe. An
environmentally gentle alternative that I have heard
of uses Borax (like some people use to clean their
clothes) and infuses it into the wood. The wood that
you have treated will never be eaten by termites again
(because it has the borax in it).

The friend of mine who told me about doing this to her
old house is very happy with it.

I can't recommend a company, as I am too far away. If
there is one here in Tampa (not the most
environmentally aware place), there must be one that
does this near you.