permaculture - [permaculture] need termite prevention advice

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: 2w4r@usinternet.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] need termite prevention advice
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:51:34 -0800

We've bought and are renovating an older wood-frame home in Southern California. Like most such homes near the sea, it has extensive termite damage, both dry-wood and subterranean. We can replace the damaged wood, but can we safely treat the wood, while it is exposed, or otherwise prevent future infestations? My research has found no better option than tenting and using Vicane, which we don't want to do. Safety aside, we have solar panels on the roof, and we can't find any termite company that will warrant them against damage from placing and removing the tenting. Do we have any options other than to feel good about not using pesticides, while the house falls down around our ears?