permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Wood Burning Stoves and *** Furnaces***

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Wood Burning Stoves and *** Furnaces***
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:06:48 -1000

Aloha,

Key options I have so far identified for Canadian winters

Also...
Energy-efficiency/passive solar retrofit to the extent possible for existing buildings.
Maximum attention to passive solar and energy efficiency in new buildings.
All as low-tech as possible so it will still be viable without constant (or any) grid electricity.

4) In BC electricty is now cheaper than nat. gas and may be a mid term
solution for many except when the lights go out. The problem is the rates
will rise soon as we import 10% of our power and must build expensive new
capacity.

How much of your grid electricity is generated using natural gas?

In Vancouver Fraser Valley area there are restrictions in some places
such that a house may not be newly built with wood stove/furnace. Air
pollution is a problem in the valley. Su Dennet is correct in saying that
if we don't have effecient clean burning wood stoves and furnaces they will
be made illegal.

When it comes down to winter survival 'illegal' will be irrelevant at some point.
So it's important to propagate clean and efficient woodburning ASAP so that when it does come down to survival it'll be better than it would otherwise.

3) ease of use: automatic fuel supply, ignition
Well we have a culture of convenience and appeasment not
everyone will schlep.

Until they have to... :-o :-)

One has to consider the needs of seniors

This is only a 'problem' in a culture like ours where age segregation is the norm and there are so many elders living in isolation or only with other elders.
Solutions are based in cultural change, living (again) in ways where elders are cared for as necessary by younger generations.

aloha,
John S.

- Eco-Living -
Whole Systems Design Services