permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Sweden Plans to Be World's First Oil-Free Economy

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: R Freeman <sunnysidesourdough@gmail.com>
  • To: john@eco-living.net, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Sweden Plans to Be World's First Oil-Free Economy
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 05:03:56 +0800

> One issue I think they will hit in a couple decades is use of their
> plantation wood for biofuels (and everything else they use it for too of
> course). They have got to be getting on to their third rotation (at
> least) in lots of their tree plantations and some sustainably/holistic
> forestry practitioners predict/suspect that that's about when mass
> monoculture plantation forestry will start to collapse.
> Finland is likely to have a similar problem in a similar timeframe,
> along with any other similar contexts in N. Europe.

In a recent issue of New Scientist (http://tinyurl.com/a5jj2) it was
mentioned that more Nitrogen falls out of the sky now than was added
as fertilizer in the 50s. This extra Nitrogen might allow the Swedes
to get more crops of trees. (Of course one of the disadvantages is
that the same Nitrogen falls as acid rain, which is responsible for
mass forest loss---who knows which way the coin will fall)

Robert