permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ethanol proposals

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude William Genest <genest@pivot.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ethanol proposals
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:41:39 -0500

Enjoying this thread fellas....

One point I just got from Lester Brown's new book "Plan 2.0" is that growing food for fuel competes directly with growing food for people. Service stations and supermarkets will soon vie for the same commodity. This incentive to grow more monocrops means more deforestation, soil loss etc. Means costlier food means derailing attempts to eradicate poverty as rich nations out bid the poor for food/fuel....

Also I hear the ratio of energy in to energy out is substantially better with sugarcane and switchgrass than with corn...
Best Regards,

Claude William Genest

- Founder Green Mountain Permaculture Institute of Vermont
Solutions, Sustenance, Sustainability
www.greenmountainpermaculture.com

- Creator "Regeneration - The Art of Sustainable Living"
From "Something-Must-be-Done" to Something we can do !
www.regenerationshow.com

- Ecological Coordinator
Club St.Paul Ecological Golf Course

- Vice-President Green Party of Quebec "pour nous et nos enfants"
www.pvq.qc.ca

- National Spokesperson Green Party of Canada
"The Future is Now ! "
www.greenparty.ca