permaculture - [permaculture] Holy Land Permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ethan X <livetrii@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Holy Land Permaculture
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 09:49:14 -0800 (PST)

Hi Joshua,

A good place for your partner to start could be BUSTAN:
Sustainable Community Action for Land and People, which
works primarily with Bedouin Arabs in Israel's Negev Desert:
BUSTAN is a partnership of Jewish and Arab eco-builders,
architects, academics, and farmers promoting social and environmental
justice in Israel/Palestine. BUSTAN cultivates sustainable models to effect
change by combining advocacy and in-depth political analysis with strategic
action. BUSTAN utilizes the principles of permaculture and non-violent
direct action across ethnic divides.
BUSTAN was founded & is still led by a Jewish woman.
In turn, they should have connections with Palestinian
permaculturists or communities that need help. For woman-
centered activism in the West Bank, another amazing group
is the International Women's Peace Service:

IWPS Palestine is a team of women based in Hares, a village in the
Salfit Governorate of Occupied Palestine's West Bank, which began for
three continuous years from August 2002. IWPS documents human rights
abuses, works with the media, and non-violently intervenes in abuses.
IWPS joins Palestinians in acts of non-violent direct action to oppose human
rights abuses and the confiscation and destruction of land and property
of Palestinian people. This includes joining demonstrations and
opposition to the Apartheid Wall, helping remove roadblocks, and
accompanying ambulances and Palestinians whilst they farm. IWPS supports
Palestinian and Israeli anti-occupation groups in their grassroots resistance
to end the brutal and illegal military Occupation.

And of course, there's also the Crazy Palestinian's
Permaculture Page, but he recently had to shut down
his pc project in the West Bank, due to the violence of
Israel's military invasion since 2001. In general, Palestinians
in the West Bank are still in emergency immediate survival
mode, especially with fights to stave off the destructiveness
of the Wall, & mostly have little ability to think about or plan for
long-term sustainability. Gaza might be a much better place
for permaculture now...

Finally, Starhawk has spent some time in the West Bank &
probably knows more...

And for background on the deteriorating environmental situation
in the West Bank, please see my article "Holy Land or Living
Hell? Pollution, Apartheid and Protest in Occupied Palestine."

Best ~ Ethan

From: Joshua Dolan
Subject: Re: [permaculture] Jerusalem Permaculture Guest House

Nice to read about your place in the Holy Land. I too
am also interested in learning about any permaculture
projects that you may know of in your region,
particularly on the west bank. I know that there is
an amazing project just over the river in Jordan
created by Geoff Lawton. But it seems like the west
bank is in particular need of assistance and I am
wondering if you know of any projects there? My
partner is headed there in a few days and will be
staying for three months. She works for a Woman's
Peace house in Palestine, but is interested in
permaculture, particularly how it can help in healing
communities stricken by war, how it might be used as a
peaceful tool of reconciliation, how it can be used to
empower woman, etc. Can you point me in the right
direction?

Joshua Dolan
> > Are you participating in any Israeli-Palestinian
> permaculture projects or any in Palestine proper,
> restoring food production and terrain in places
> where
> it may have been disrupted?
>

> hi larry, good to hear from you-
>
> now that i feel at home and have many hosting
> responsibilities at the very happening and
> remunerative permaculture guesthouse, i seldom leave
> jerusalem (even for tel aviv and certainly not where
> someone might want to throw a rock at me.) i am
> restoring food production in my back yard and the
> backyard of the building next to me. fortunately,
> jerusalem is the crossroads for an amazing diversity
> of people, including muslims, sikhs, christians,
> buddhists, etc.
> if they care for the earth and all inhabitants
> thereof, they are my people.

"Vast tasks, calling for all the courage, discipline, dedication, and
ingenuity commonly associated with war, will have to be carried out if the
majority of humankind are to survive and enjoy a tolerable future" ---Robert
Hart

Message: 2