permaculture - Re: [permaculture] West Bank, Jerusalem Permaculture Guest House

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: akiva w <kevinakiva@yahoo.com>
  • To: rainbowwarrior14874@yahoo.com, permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] West Bank, Jerusalem Permaculture Guest House
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:17:50 -0800 (PST)

-> From: Joshua Dolan <rainbowwarrior14874@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [permaculture] Jerusalem Permaculture
Guest House

> Akiva
> Nice to read about your place in the Holy Land. I
> too am also interested in learning about any
> permaculture projects that you may know of in your
region,
> particularly on the west bank. it seems like the
west
> bank is in particular need of assistance and I am
> wondering if you know of any projects there? My
> partner is headed there in a few days and will be
> staying for three months. She works for a Woman's
> Peace house in Palestine, but is interested in
> permaculture, particularly how it can help in
> healing communities stricken by war, how it might be
used as
> a peaceful tool of reconciliation, how it can be
used
> to empower woman, etc. Can you point me in the
right direction?
> Joshua Dolan
---------------

hi joshua-
there is a full-on eco peace people for israel and
also somewhat in neighboring regions.
it sounds to me that you'd enjoy linking with my
friend devorah's group, Bustan, which basically means
"food forest/oasis" in both arabic and hebrew.

see: http://www.bustan.org/

"BUSTAN is a partnership of Jewish and Arab
eco-builders, architects, academics, and farmers
promoting social and environmental justice in
Israel/Palestine. BUSTAN cultivates sustainable models
to affect change by combining advocacy and in-depth
political analysis with strategic action. BUSTAN
utilizes the principles of permaculture and
non-violent direct action across ethnic divides."

btw, as far as i know, the name "palestine" is not
indigenous but of roman imposition after their
massacre/conquest/ecological destruction of judea. it
includes a misconnection of ethnicity with the
"philistines" of much earlier. why 20th century locals
have chosen this as the name to now rally upon is kind
of questionable. figure out why, and you might have
insight to current challanges there. i think canaan is
a cool name, but people tend to connect that with
various ancient blood practices such as child
sacrifice.

you can have your partner contact me while here for
more connections/introductions.

pees-
akiva

> > > Are you participating in any Israeli-Palestinian
> > permaculture projects or any in Palestine proper,
> > restoring food production and terrain in places
> > where
> > it may have been disrupted?
> >

> > hi larry, good to hear from you-
> >
> > now that i feel at home and have many hosting
> > responsibilities at the very happening and
> > remunerative permaculture guesthouse, i seldom
> leave
> > jerusalem (even for tel aviv and certainly not
> where
> > someone might want to throw a rock at me.) i am
> > restoring food production in my back yard and the
> > backyard of the building next to me. fortunately,
> > jerusalem is the crossroads for an amazing
> diversity
> > of people, including muslims, sikhs, christians,
> > buddhists, etc.
> > if they care for the earth and all inhabitants
> > thereof, they are my people.

  • Re: [permaculture] West Bank, Jerusalem Permaculture Guest House, akiva w, 12/27/2005