permaculture - [permaculture] greywater into fungi into clean water

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "L.Santoyo Designs" <santoyo@earthflow.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] greywater into fungi into clean water
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 13:06:57 -0800

Pioneering mycologist Paul Stamets (http://www.fungiperfecti.com) tells a story of how he discovered that one of his mushroom species, growing in an outdoor bed of woodchips, neutralized coliform bacteria-the types found in leaking septic systems- that had been affecting the oyster beds off the beach below him.

http://fungi.com/mycotech/mycova.html

We inoculated our greywater woodchip bed with his strain of King Stropharia, though I think it's greatest use would be in a blackwater mulch pit.

Stamets has also discovered many other mycoremediation techniques, including the use of fungi to break down petrochemicals.

After using a backhoe to bust up compacted fill around our project site here in CA, we just picked out over 30 wheelbarrow loads of broken asphalt, which we have now piled in a long row. I am covering it with woodchips and then inviting in the fungi to work their magic...

Kathryn Santoyo

We have a huge "wall" to break down up here regarding the use of grey/gray H2O. With all the folks that live on the lakes...the DNR and county NR folks...levy heavy fines to folks who do not send all used water to their septic systems. I've heard of folks having "secret gray water systems"...it's a very "underground" (pun intended) movement up here...but you better not get caught...

I've broached the subject with some of my friend/contacts on both county and fed levels...and they just won't talk about it if you have property on the water. They say it would be just too much to "govern" and they are stretched to their limits, what with the dock and pier abuses...(geezzzz).