permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Santoyo on storing graywater

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "L.Santoyo Designs" <santoyo@earthflow.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Santoyo on storing graywater
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 16:27:41 -0800

Hey Rain,

First, I wouldn't call them mobsters...
They are right -septic tanks work very well for predigesting and of course, for settling of solids. (If I could afford one each time I would consider it too)... BUT the fact is -it just isn't necessary... the leach line from the septic tank, as normally designed, is for infiltration (below the root zone) -the greywater delivery line is not a classic leach line -in the sense that it is delivered for use by plants at the root zone level (not below). Best delivered in 1.5 inch diameter pipe (less clogs and "islands" than with standard 4 inch leach line)

The drums may work better as surge tanks below kitchen sinks, bath and mop sinks... (even 30 gal or smaller in a series)

Sounds like the inspectors in your county need more information and attention before they can act more responsibly for the people they serve... There are permitted grey and even black water systems in this State. The City of Santa Monica in Los Angeles County has trained staff to educate both homeowners and contractors in roof-water harvesting and grey water use in the landscape... There is also a very productive home orchard and mulch system in nearby Malibu (that we sometimes feature in our urban design courses) that is nurtured by a permitted domestic black-water system!

Be sure to get the series of Art's books, study them -then YOU can become the pioneer species for educating your county officials!.. see http://www.oasisdesign.net/

good luck

Larry

Larry Santoyo, Director
EarthFlow Design Works
805.459.0452
http://www.earthflow.com/consulting.html

Hi Larry,
I've always heard that storing graywater is not a good idea because it gets anaerobic, stinky, and thicker with bacteria which can increase clogging. I'm trying to convince my county (Mendocino) to let me do a branched drain graywater system, but they insist on some kind of septic tank. The county inspector and my site evaluator/engineer/mobster say that septic tanks remove sludge and pre-digest the graywater before it goes into the leach lines (or gravel beds around fruit trees in my case since the inspector won't let me use mulch, either). I'm going to use three 50 gallon drums for the inspection and maybe remove them later. What do you have to say?

Rain