permaculture - [permaculture] Santoyo on storing graywater

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Santoyo on storing graywater
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 13:35:36 -0800 (PST)

Hi Larry,

I've always heard that storing graywater is not a good idea because it gets
anaerobic, stinky, and thicker with bacteria which can increase clogging.
I'm trying to convince my county (Mendocino) to let me do a branched drain
graywater system, but they insist on some kind of septic tank. The county
inspector and my site evaluator/engineer/mobster say that septic tanks remove
sludge and pre-digest the graywater before it goes into the leach lines (or
gravel beds around fruit trees in my case since the inspector won't let me
use mulch, either). I'm going to use three 50 gallon drums for the
inspection and maybe remove them later. What do you have to say?

Rain

Yahoo! Personals