permaculture - Re: [permaculture] greywater

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "L.Santoyo Designs" <santoyo@earthflow.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] greywater
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 08:05:16 -0800

Marilyn,

Not sure what kind of set up you have -but greywater should never be stored or day-lighted. Sound like that spot is super-saturated with no infiltration. We have successfully replaced a spot like that by digging it out making a shallow pit -then filled with course wood chips (of about a cubic yard total). With all the moisture and "nutrient" from the sink, the chips break down quickly, seem to mitigate the soap and grease well -from there they go into the garden -then fill the pit again with new chips -(straw would work too).

Of course, also check out the series of booklets about home-scale, low-tech greywater systems by Art Ludwig of Oasis Designs. http://www.oasisdesign.net/

For any foul odors -try splashing Lacto bacilus around the area (a trick we learned from Gil Carandang, Author, Indigenous Micro-Organisms) -you can make it easily or purchase it at health food store (sold as rejuvalac).

Larry

Larry Santoyo, Director
EarthFlow Design Works
805.459.0452
http://www.earthflow.com/consulting.html

I live in a passive solar house in NM and have separate pipes for my
greywater from the bathroom, kitchen and washing machine. No problem with the
bathroom and washing machine greywater as I use non toxic products and the water
goes out to fruit trees.
My kitchen is on the north side of the house and that greywater goes out to a
shady low spot. The kitchen greywater is gross and I have to keep diging
sludge away. Any suggestions?

Marilyn