permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Sow bugs eating the strawberries

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Sow bugs eating the strawberries
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:01:49 -0700

I concur--when mulching to discourage sow bugs it has to be a dry substance
like straw or baled hay. I use alfalfa only because it feeds the soil quite
well, has no mature seed to sprout into weeds, and clopryalid contamination
is not an issue. Several organic commercial strawberry growers in this area
use straw extensively (they must have certified clopyralid-free supplies.)

As Kevin stated, putting it down just prior to fruiting gives max benefit.
Those living near filbert orchards have had good success mulching with
lightly crushed filbert shells. However, I'm not sure how effective any dry
mulch will be after the bugs have discovered the bounty to be had.

Kate