permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Sow bugs eating the strawberries

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lisa in Oregon <lisamaciver8@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Sow bugs eating the strawberries
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:13:22 -0700 (PDT)

I have a cordless vac I use mostly for earwigs, which are devastating
here for this few months in spring. I get the occasional sowbug and
slug with it, too... going out at night with one might be a way to
quickly reduce populations. I really only have sowbug problems inside
wall-o-waters or with plants that are right on the ground, like
emerging bean seedlings. Maybe humidity/darkness/air circulation.

You might read Steve Soloman's "Growing Vegetables West of the
Cascades." He specifically says mulch is the problem as in our climate
it allows buildup of earwigs and sowbugs; recommends not mulching, or
removing and composting mulch in early spring and reapplying fresh
mulch later. I haven't been able to not mulch, though.

Lisa in Ashland Oregon

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail