permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Reeds & Oxygen

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: efmonaco@comcast.net
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Reeds & Oxygen
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:41:52 +0000

> ...oxygen. And just pulling the reeds isn't a long-term solution, as the
> empty
> niche will quickly be filled by some other, perhaps less beneficial,
> species.

Speaking of pulling reeds...
I've got a shallow pond built by a previous owner that is full of pickeral
weeds, which are very beautiful and the flowers are supossedly edible
(although I haven't tried yet); however, they have nearly spread completely
over the whole pond in the last 2 or 3 years. I've decided to deal with it
this year but I'm dreading the job of wading in there and pulling up a big
mat of biomass, I'm envisioning that it will be like trying to pull wire mesh
out of concrete. There will be tremendous turbulence as well. Any advice?
Slash rather than pull? Waterbourne goat? Diesel fuel and fire?
-Gene Monaco