permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Reeds & Oxygen

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Reeds & Oxygen
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:06:21 +1100

The only way to 'control' water plants is by making ponds too deep for their
habitat. Rushes, reeds, waterlilies, lotus, all water plants with roots
attached to the soil, have depth restraints. Create a shallow pond, you've
created the ideal environment for total colonisation by plants.
Generally the littoral zone (the edge inhabited by plants) goes to 5
feet/1.5m depth. You could pull the plant out but they, or some other will
simply grow back
Robyn F