permaculture - Re: [permaculture] reeds & Oxygen

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture list <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] reeds & Oxygen
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:38:55 -0800

On 3/18/05 4:28 AM, "Claude William Genest" <genest@pivot.net> wrote:

> is must be done because the reeds are "invasive"
> and deplete oxygen - I thought the roots pumped out oxygen allowing a
> place for water purifying bacteria to live ?

Reeds (I'm assuming we mean true reeds and not reed canary grass) are
particularly efficient at evolving oxygen from their roots, as are several
wetland genera.

I'm a little surprised that a "biologist" wouldn't know that plants produce
oxygen. And just pulling the reeds isn't a long-term solution, as the empty
niche will quickly be filled by some other, perhaps less beneficial,
species.

Toby
www.patternliteracy.com