permaculture - [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 26, Issue 18

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "dheritage@juno.com" <dheritage@juno.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 26, Issue 18
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:09:43 GMT

Doug,

You wrote:

<There were a couple of studies done in the late 60s or early 70s comparing
established organic farms (which were well past their adaptation period
when yields tend to decrease temporarily) raising field crops, to
commercial conventional farms.

It was found that gross yields were slightly higher on the conventional
farms and profits were slightly higher on the organic farms, partly due to
the organic farms selling some of their crops at premium prices (5 or 10%
I believe) and partly due to lower input costs of the organic farms....>

This is all good, interesting information. Do you know of any published, well
reasearched scientific studies that support this? Especially studies
performed by unbiased, respected organizations. It seems to me there has been
enough time and interest for studies to have been conducted that answer these
questions or at least give us a rational scientific understanding of the
differences between conventional vs. organic agriculture.

Dave Heritage

Now includes pop-up blocker!

  • [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 26, Issue 18, dheritage@juno.com, 03/11/2005