permaculture - [permaculture] where on Earth is the most permaculture happening?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Forest Garden" <forestgarden@austin.rr.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] where on Earth is the most permaculture happening?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:51:14 -0600

Hello Everyone,

Here is a question for those of you who have travelled broadly, and seen a
lot of the permaculute world. Where on earth is there the most permaculture
happening in one place? Does anyone know of a collection of communities or
villages where the population is oriented towards living in harmony with
nature? I know there are lots of scattered eco-villages here and there, but
does anyone know of a place where there is a really large collective focus
on sustainability?

Our little family is looking for a community or village to move to. We
totally get it about having community of like minded souls for real
sustainability. (We've spent enough time trying to do it on our own, or
create community where it only exists on a small scale). We beleive that
peak oil is all too immenent, and we want to move to a place while we still
can. We have lots of hard won skills in implementing permaculture, two
engineering degrees, good health, some financial resources, and two kids.
We are confident we could get through any immigration dept in the world - so
please let us know regardless of the country!. Our primary requirement is
finding a place where the collective population has a focus on
sustainability. Second main requirement is a temeprate or tropical climate
with good soil (easy growing!). And the third is that there is a spiritual
element in the community - I know that is a bit vague, but I am sure with a
permie collective, it will be there. We are Americans, but seriously want
to leave this country (don't get me started on why...).

I've heard of an area around Byron Bay or Nimbin in Austrialia. Anyone know
of this area? Familiar with it? We've also been looking at the area of
Nelson, New Zealand, but it is a wee bit cold, although do-able.

Any information / suggestions greatly appreciated.

If you would like to contact me off list, my email address is
forestgarden@austin.rr.com.

Thank you so much!

Marjory