permaculture - [permaculture] the dualistic split in permaculture teaching

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] the dualistic split in permaculture teaching
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 11:10:06 -0800 (PST)

Michael Kramer is on to something very important. It seems that the
permaculture movement is suffering from the old matter/spirit split and it is
hindering the movement from applying permaculture design to social systems.
There seems to be an assumption that humuns are somehow separate from the
rest of Nature. Therefore, it is possible to apply systems theory/ecological
principles to physical, land-based or even energy-based designs, but not to
the relationships between people or their social systems. But humun systems
are part of Nature and obey the same laws.

I once saw a surprisingly useful presentation by Darren Huckle of Santa Cruz
on permaculture principles as applied to spirituality. If you can apply
permaculture to spirituality, you can definitely apply it to economic
systems, group dynamics, political systems, and all the rest. Permaculture
teachers say permaculture is about design and not techniques, but students
are not getting it. Maybe if we had a course without reference to trees,
water, and earth (I profess to wince at the thought), people would finally
get it. The essence of permaculture is about relationships, not objects.
Many urban people have trouble apply permaculture to their lives because they
don't have much access to trees, water, or soil. What we need is a
permaculture revolution.

Let's do it!

Rain

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!