permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Permaculture Web Developers Guild?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Plants For A Future <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Permaculture Web Developers Guild?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 22:15:25 +0000 (GMT)

From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture Web Developers Guild?

I just modified the Permaculture Activist Subscription page
(http://www.permacultureactivist.net/subscribe/subscrip.htm) and enabled
it to take Paypal for subscriptions to the Activist, Permaculture Mag
UK, and Agroforesty News. Yay! I also enabled a couple pages to take
Paypal donations (http://www.permacultureactivist.net/) to help fund our
trip to Europe for the IPC7. Yay! I also made the site easier to look at
and smaller. Yay! All well and good.

But, when I tried to use the Paypal system to set up payment for books I
ran into a snag. The problem is we charge different postal rates for
different regions, ie 10% to US locations,15% to Canada, and 20% to
everywhere else, and Paypal doesn't offer the choice to make those
distinctions. They recommend a third party shopping cart (I learn this
after 6 hours of dicking around with a very slow [24k/s] Paypal
interface). So, now what?

I've had simple problem myself, with UK/Europe and US rates.

Simple solution, three buttons, label appropriatly.

See http://www.pfaf.org/book.php for a simple example.

For my purposes paypal with no shopping carts or fancy stuff suits us
fine. We onlu get a few single item orders a week so it good enough for
us.

How far you want to go down this line depends a lot on the size of
operation. Shopping carts are going to be more involved,
merchant status cost money up front. Its all down to the economics.

Is there a manual that can accelerate my learning curve on this shopping
cart / merchant stuff? Excellent websites for novices? Commited
listeners / advisors from the list who can help? I want to make this
happen in a fairly short time so that I can attend to the gobs of other
stuff in my schedule. Help! Other web workers please identify
yourselves. I have Dreamweaver MX and I'm using only a bit of its
potential.

We need a guild or network or listserv for Permaculture Web Developers,
I think. What do you think?

I'd say its forming around the permaculture.info project. See the lists
lawrence has posted.

Rich

  • [permaculture] Re: Permaculture Web Developers Guild?, Plants For A Future, 02/09/2005