permaculture - Re: [permaculture] http://www.permacultureactivist.net/

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] http://www.permacultureactivist.net/
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:51:14 -0800 (PST)

There are a few needs mixed into this topic for the
permaculture community. Such as:

- hosting solutions being offered by ecovillages. Why
give the money away to mono-culture companies, then
you can't even run your choice of software or easily
change hosting providers.
- permaculture based web merchant solution, such as
what pay pal provides. This would be a big win for a
business such as the Permaculture Credit Union.
- a greater exchange of expertise, as paypal has a
free toolkit addressing these needs if you can handle
the html (same concept as an affiliate program). This
is a trivial edit for an HTML enthusiast.
- a system of reciprocal hosting agreements to enhance
the availability of permaculture web sites.
- a system for detecting and disseminating trouble
makers, so they can be filtered at the fire wall.
- a library of scripts to assist less technically
sophisticated members of the community to host more
web sites and gain a financial harvest, reducing the
burden from the greater economy.
- standardization of goods, services, and monetary
exchanges that further the permaculture cause by
enabling asset poor communities to become established
(hosting the PFAF database for instance, or simply
exchanging seeds and seedlings for HTML work). This
is what I am trying to do with my site, albeit slow
moving. The idea could be likened to a permaculture
eBay.

I imagine an ecovillage would be able to find a better
use for dissipated heat from CPUs than godaddy. To
encourage sustainable uses, we should be careful not
to encourage giving money outside of our culture when
possible. Having a system for agreements and
arbitration may serve to assist permaculture moving
forward where inertia would be the only other option.
Otherwise, a CPU might go hot from abuse and not be
helping the host in the more meaningful ways. I pay
$9/yr for my site, if anyone is interested in a more
exciting host (not for the faint of heart, only true
cheap skates might want to enquire, especially those
with 2yr olds at home who like to push buttons).

-Sean.