permaculture - Re: [permaculture] is honey locust a nitrogen fixer?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture list <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] is honey locust a nitrogen fixer?
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:37:32 -0800

Lisa wrote:

>> Checked the origin of my info and it's Toby too (post of 4/20/04):
>> he quotes the book "The Leguminosae" (O.N. Allen).

Allen cites a number of studies that show that Gleditsia exudes substances
from its roots that inhibit the formation of N-fixing bacterial nodules, and
that also prevent the nodules from penetrating root-hair walls, which is
necessary for the symbiotic relationship to develop. No nodules, no
nitrogen. A few studies conflict with this and calim that nodulation can be
forced in the lab, but apparently no one has found nodules in the wild
plant.

Toby