permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Background on invasives

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Background on invasives
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 08:40:18 EST

Bart says

>The intensity of emotion seems to be inversely proportional to the amount of
knowledge we really have. Invasive behavior is probably much more complex
than we currently suspect.

A prime example of invasive behavior is Europeans in the new World. Before
we came, the indigenous folk used to clear small areas for vegetable
plantings,
or use seasonal wetlands for chinampa agriculture, such as the Aztec gardens
inthe shallow lakes of the Valley of Mexico. Their hand on the land was
light,
and the most radical thing they did was seasonal burning of gamelands to
provide greater browse for the tastier and larger animals.

Enter us. Now we have subdivisions nearly everywhere. The metal content of
the air and the sea is different. We have terraformed much of Americe east of
the one hundredth meridian into a splurb-- that merged creation that's not
quite
suburb, not quite city but more of a sprawl occupying land that used to be
farmland. And we're still having more babies.

If you look out the window on a plane trip, the pattern below reminds you of
tobacco mosaic virus under a microscope. Not for nothing was the Latin word
for man "virus".