permaculture - [permaculture] [ARTICLE} Is Humanity Fatally Successful ?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] [ARTICLE} Is Humanity Fatally Successful ?
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 05:01:35 -0500 (EST)

This is an article by Dr. William Rees, late of the University of British
Columbia School of Planning and the originator of the concept of the
"ecological footprint". He has been forced to the conclusion as have many
of us, that "industrial civilization" is not sustainable; that the
developed countries must change their economies and societies to a
different pattern(s). I may be putting words in his mouth to a certain
extent but this is the implication.

He discusses the fundamental causes of our problems.

Dr. Rees manages to bring these very basic problems to atttention
in an uniquely tactful way, so that he is more effective than anyone I
know in presenting these issues in a way that makes it difficult for
those to whom they are new, to dismiss them. I recommend this article
highly, its excellence and importance cannot be overstated.

See
<http://www.scarp.ubc.ca/rees%20Is%20Humanity%20Fatally%20Successful.pdf>

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario