permaculture - [permaculture] BBC NEWS | In Depth | 2004 | Planet under pressure | Eco-Friendly Garden Design Competition

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [permaculture] BBC NEWS | In Depth | 2004 | Planet under pressure | Eco-Friendly Garden Design Competition
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:36:08 -0800

A six part series looking at the biggest problems facing the Earth
Introducing Planet Under Pressure
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3686106.stm>
Last Updated: Friday, 1 October, 2004, 14:00 GMT 15:00 UK
Introduction: Planet under pressure
Planet under pressure is a six-part BBC News Online series looking
at some of the most pressing environmental issues facing the human race today.

<><><><><>

Eco-Friendly Garden Design Competition
Green gardening
Could you design an eco-friendly garden? Enter our competition

Last Updated: Wednesday, 8 December, 2004, 09:57 GMT
E-mail this to a friend Printable version
Design an eco-friendly garden
In our Planet Under Pressure series, we're looking at some of the world's
biggest environmental problems.

How to enter:
1. Download the .pdf template
Design template (448K)
2. Design your garden either by hand or on a computer
3. Send your design as an email attachment to ecogarden@bbc.co.uk
or post to
Gardening Competition, Room 7095, BBC Television Centre, Wood Lane, London
W12 7RJ
Please read our competition rules before entering

Full competition rules
But the first steps toward solving these issues can begin at home - which is
why we're giving you a chance to design an eco-friendly garden.

We want you to come up with a garden which is a relaxing green space for you,
your family and friends, uses natural resources in a
sustainable way and encourages a wide range of plant and wildlife.

We want to see entries which combine originality, resourcefulness and beauty.

You can design a garden for where you live, or choose a setting or location
anywhere in the world.

Your design should aim to make use of environmentally friendly or recycled
materials and you should think about the amount of time you'll
need to devote to looking after it.

The closing date is Friday 21 January 2005.

One entry will be chosen as the winner by expert judges from the BBC
Gardening website, and will receive a copy of The Encyclopedia of
Organic Gardening, by the Henry Doubleday Research Foundation.

We'll display the winner and a selection of the best entries on the BBC News
website.

We've included some helpful links from gardening websites on the right hand
side of this page, and some links to useful resources from BBC
Gardening within the text below.

We'll be judging the entries on five key criteria:

1. CLIMATE AND WATER: Wet or dry

If your design is for a region with high amounts of rainfall you'll need to
include plants which thrive in wet conditions and make sure your
garden has proper drainage.

Similarly if you're planning for a dry region, your garden design should
conserve water and use plants which can cope with minimal rainfall
or drought.

Even if you're designing for a region with plenty of water, you'll still need
to consider where the water for your garden comes from. Bear
in mind the energy and chemicals used in bringing you your tap water and
think about how you can make the most of rainwater.

Resources:
BBC Gardening: Wet weather
BBC Gardening: Dry weather

2. SPECIES DIVERSITY: Plant and wildlife

Your design should aim to stimulate biodiversity - a wide range of plants and
animals.

By planning to use the right types of plants, and not using pesticides, you
can encourage both wildlife and plants to thrive in your garden.

This doesn't mean letting nature take over, however, and you can find out
more about how to design a garden which blends style with nature
at the BBC Gardening website resources below:

Resources:
BBC Gardening: Organic Gardening
BBC Gardening: Natural Garden
BBC Gardening: The wildlife haven garden

3. MATERIALS: What not to use

Your design should only use environmentally friendly materials which do not
deplete endangered resources, or come from ecologically
sensitive parts of the world.

You should also make the most of your garden's natural resources - think
about how can you reduce or cut down fertiliser use by recycling
nutrients, for example.

Another thing to consider is whether you can make use of old or recycled
materials in your design. Extra marks for originality in this category!

Resources:
BBC Gardening: The recycled garden

4. AESTHETICS: A beautiful space

We don't want your garden to be just about saving the planet - we want it to
look nice as well!

The winning design will be the garden which we think which best mixes these
eco-friendly criteria with an aesthetically pleasing design.

You can find out more about what to consider from a design perspective when
planning a garden at the BBC Gardening website:

Resources:
BBC Gardening: How to be a gardener - the basics

5. PRACTICALITY: Time and money

There's no set budget, but it's important to consider maintenance and cost
when planning your garden.

You may want to think about using low-maintenance plants requiring minimal
care and attention. And you should try to plan a garden in which
you can relax as well as looking after.

Judges will be looking at whether your garden will be good value for money.

Resources:
BBC Gardening: How to be a gardener
BBC Gardening: Virtual garden

Please read our competition rules before entering. Good luck !

<><><><><><>

PART 5: CLIMATE CHANGE
Entering uncharted waters?
Rising tides
Life in Bangladesh's low-lying Ganges delta.
Photojournal: Facing rising tides
Quiz: Test your knowledge
Viewpoints: Climate concerns
Q&A: The Kyoto Protocol
Animated guide: Climate change
Warming: The evidence

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/sci_tech/2004/planet/default.stm>
PLANET UNDER PRESSURE
Last Updated: Thursday, 16 December, 2004, 14:38 GMT
A worker carries dead fish in a basket at Kankaria Lake in Ahmadabad, AP

Pollution: A life and death issue
Alex Kirby explores our struggle for food and clean water on a planet which
is no-longer pristine.

TACKLING POLLUTION
Oil refinery Durban's poor fight for clean air
Photojournal: Asthma and pollution
Quiz: Are you pollution-savvy?
Map: Pollution hotspots
Under pressure
Why scientists fear for the future of the planet and humanity
Global eco-survey
What worried you most about the global environment

FACING CLIMATE CHANGE
Flooded future looms for Bangladesh
Photojournal: Facing rising tides
Entering uncharted waters?
Viewpoints: Climate concerns
Quiz: Clued up on climate?

FEEDING THE WORLD
Poland's factory farms cause a stink
Can the planet feed us?
Photojournal: Inside a hog factory
Quiz: How green is your food?
Viewpoints: Food for all?

SOARING ENERGY DEMAND
China's dirty energy takes its toll
Energy: Heading for a crisis?
In pictures: Amid the fumes
Quiz: Renewable energy
Viewpoints: Powering the planet

Talking Point
Can the Kyoto Protocol be effective?
Global warning?
BBC special on climate change and its likely effects
2015 Where will we be?
BBC website exploring the UN's goals for the planet in 2015

WORLD WATER CRISIS
Marble trade sucks Indian villages dry
Water scarcity: A looming crisis?
Photojournal: On parched land
Quiz: World water crisis
Viewpoints: The water debate
Map: The world's water hotspots

SPECIES UNDER THREAT
Brazil's 'Noah's Ark' forest
Biodiversity: The sixth great wave
Photojournal: Forest settler
Quiz: Species and extinction
Viewpoints: Saving species
Map: Biodiversity hotspots

BBC NEWS: VIDEO AND AUDIO
A satellite image of the planet BBC reports on the environmental challenge
facing Earth

  • [permaculture] BBC NEWS | In Depth | 2004 | Planet under pressure | Eco-Friendly Garden Design Competition, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 12/17/2004